Friday, September 28, 2007

A Novel Idea

...pun intended.

Nick and I decided to write a sci-fi type story together. Or more accurately, I dragged him into it. I borrowed the skeleton of a plot from one of my unwritten Sailor Moon fanfics, ripped out all the parts about pretty soldiers and magic, and tried to turn it into something other people might actually want to read.

Ok, from that description you probably think it's going to suck. I promise it's not as lame as it sounds. The basic premise is that there's this group of scientists who find a girl from an ancient civilization buried deep in a cryogenic chamber under the desert, and her DNA is the key to activating this secret powerful technology they've unearthed, so they try to clone her. (Nick says this sounds a lot like Stargate, but I swear I didn't know that at the time.) We haven't yet decided what the secret ancient technology does. My dad thinks it should involve aliens, but I'm not sure.

Also, lately I haven't been able to actually write anything. Don't you hate it when you get into one of those moods where you feel like writing, but you can't actually form enough concrete thoughts to get a sentence down on paper (or text file, as it were)? This occurs quite frequently at two in the morning after drinking too much caffeine and spending three hours staring at cheesy video game fanart on DA. (Yes, I know, only losers are on DA because the critiques are not nearly heartless and soul-shattering enough to be helpful to real artists, and drawing anime-style doesn't require any talent.) I don't know if you can call it writer's block, because I'm not at a complete loss for ideas. My thoughts have all turned into fireflies--maddeningly evasive and only occasionally brilliant, and all too easily squished. Fireflies do not make very good pets. Sure, they're cool for a while, but they don't do any tricks and they aren't exactly affectionate. I can't keep them very long because I'm not sure what to feed them.

Seriously, what do fireflies eat? ...Pollen, nectar, or other insects, apparently. I love Wikipedia.

No comments:

Tags