Sunday, September 16, 2007

It is Groovy in 5 Languages

Apparently, お洒落 is pronounced "oshare" and refers to clothes. (So says WWWJDIC.) So I looked up "cool" instead and got 格好いい, kakkoii. Just for kicks I plugged that back into the dictionary.com Japanese to English translator and got "It is groovy." In Chinese that's "它是时髦的." At least that's what they said it is. I'm gonna take their word for it.

That's American English, by the way. In British English they say "Sorry, translation is taking too long. Please try again later," instead. Man, those British people are weird.

So now we know how to say "it is groovy" in four languages. But apparently four is a really unlucky number in Japanese because it's pronounced the same as the word for death. So I'll go on and translate it into Italian too to make five. "Spiacente, la traduzione sta prendendo troppo lungamente. Provare prego ancora più successivamente." Italian sure is a wordy language...

Just now I realized that I'm supposed to be working on a project, so good night/おやすみなさい/晚上好/good night/buona notte!

No comments:

Tags